2018 PhD Conference: Theme Revealed!
As you may be aware, we're reviving the PhD conference at our School to be held on 13 - 14 September 2018 (to be confirmed). After a couple of meetings we've come up with the theme and questions. Our 2018 Conference title is 'Museums (em)Power' and we've proposed five key questions:
1. How do cultural institutions act as spaces in which power is negotiated?
2. How are cultural institutions challenged by evolving political and societal ideologies? How are they discovering opportunities within these challenges or perpetuate them?
3. How do cultural institutions engage diverse audiences, including marginalized and vulnerable communities?
4. How has the Digital Revolution transformed the ways in which cultural institutions negotiate power with society?
5. How can museum collections, exhibitions, or art impact people (such as intellectually, socially, or emotionally)?
Our next steps are to develop an abstract for each question and plan for funding applications and sponsorships. Under the theme of 'power' the committee aims to involve all the PhD colleagues so if you have comments or suggestions on the theme or any other aspects of the Conference, please feel free to share your thoughts. We'll also keep you updated on our progress so stay tuned!
2018 PhD Conference Comittee