The Attic (a name which commemorates our first physical location) is, first and foremost, a site for the research students of the School of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester: a virtual community which aims to include all students, be they campus-based and full-time, or distance-learning and overseas. But we welcome contributions from students of museum studies - and allied subject areas - from outside the School and from around the world. Here you will find a lot of serious stuff, like exhibition and research seminar reviews, conference alerts and calls for papers, but there's also some 'fluff'; the things that inspire, distract and keep us going. After all, while we may be dead serious academic types, we're human too.

Monday, November 01, 2010

Museum of Broken Relationships

It's a bleak November afternoon, and I've been feeling down for some time; I needed some schadenfreude to make me perk up. And what could be better than the darkness of the Slavic soul? Indeed, the Croatian Museum of Broken Relationships opened its doors a month ago, and has been an overwhelming success. You can view a selected slideshow here. Puts a new spin on the usual trope of a museum being a place for romantic encounters, doesn't it?

Do you have any souvenirs of past loves? I confess to having kept some love letters (OK, email printouts, we live in the modern age) from past boyfriends, and I still have some of the gifts they gave me; but I don't have anything terribly heart-tuggingly poignant, mainly because I'm not that sort of girl.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have a pile of letters (actual letters - I'm old) which I intend to destroy in some sort of crazed shredding fest in the future (hopefully when I acquire a new boyfriend!). But for now they are in a box at the bottom of my wardrobe. Out of sight, out of mind.

Stephanie said...

A few old relics; a drawing, a letter, some photos, all put away. I have a locket which I don't want to wear again, but can't be bothered to throw away.