The Attic (a name which commemorates our first physical location) is, first and foremost, a site for the research students of the School of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester: a virtual community which aims to include all students, be they campus-based and full-time, or distance-learning and overseas. But we welcome contributions from students of museum studies - and allied subject areas - from outside the School and from around the world. Here you will find a lot of serious stuff, like exhibition and research seminar reviews, conference alerts and calls for papers, but there's also some 'fluff'; the things that inspire, distract and keep us going. After all, while we may be dead serious academic types, we're human too.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Oral histories and the Internet

Further to my post about Oral Histories and YouTube earlier this week, I came across MemoryNet this evening, Tyne and Wear Museums' online collection of oral histories from the north-east coast. Visitors to the site can add comments and their own memories and experiences of the fishing communities. What's really interesting is that it's BSL-signed throughout, which I've never seen before on a website. Strikes me as a really good use of 'traditional' oral history techniques presented in a really accessible and inclusive way.

1 comment:

lsolanilla said...

When I read your post I couldn't believe it ! There is someone else in world who is interested in the subject "Oral histories and the Internet" !!! It's my PHd subject and I'm afraid I feel quite lonesome sometimes. I have recolected a lot of information on thios subject and I would be very pleased to share it and to discuss it with someone interested. Would you like to contact me by mail? (lsolanilla@uoc.edu)

I hope we'll meet on-line soon.

laura