The Attic (a name which commemorates our first physical location) is, first and foremost, a site for the research students of the School of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester: a virtual community which aims to include all students, be they campus-based and full-time, or distance-learning and overseas. But we welcome contributions from students of museum studies - and allied subject areas - from outside the School and from around the world. Here you will find a lot of serious stuff, like exhibition and research seminar reviews, conference alerts and calls for papers, but there's also some 'fluff'; the things that inspire, distract and keep us going. After all, while we may be dead serious academic types, we're human too.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Museums that will scare you silly...

Apparently, these are the top ten scariest museums. Do you agree?

3 comments:

Garun Víkingur said...

I say we have to go visit each and every one of them just to make sure! ;) I propose a "scary museums" world tour - you in?

Ceri said...

yowsers they sound like scary museums alright.... BUT I so want to go and visit them now!! The only one I have been to is the London Dungeon and that was too cheesy to be scary but I say that from the perspective of an adult - as a child I was scared silly at Yorvik Viking Centre by the singing fishermen coz I thought they were alive, I was too much of a wuss to go into the Chamber of Horrors at madame Tussauds and I was petrified by the exhibition on the Battle of Trafalgar because of the realistic depiction of a battle complete with cannon noises and men dying. However I was not phased at all by the museum of torture instruments in Ghent Castle .

Actually my most scariest experience remains a visit to a castle in Belgium, Laarne castle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Laarne. You went through a poky roof space into one of the medieval towers, a large and cold space which had a small exhibition on witches which they used to hold in the castle, complete with mannequin dressed in a wool smock, her hair shaved off and teeth pulled out. The atmosphere in that room was so oppressive I remember being relieved when I got out - it still frightens me today to think about it.

Jenny said...

We should definately visit scary heritage!!