Live Interpretation Blog plus Minds-on Engagement

Via Museum-L:
Live Interpretation Blog plus Minds-on Engagement

In preparation for a workshop this spring, I contacted this listserv and several others and asked for examples of successful interpretive strategies that incorporate hands-on or minds-on engagement for use in a space where people are not permitted to touch objects (i.e., an historic house). Museum professionals from across the country sent in their thoughts and examples.

The responses were practical and thoughtful, and I organized them into the broad categories below:

Minds-on engagement
Hands-on activities
Personal connections
Overall approaches

I combined the above information, along with research findings from a wide variety of sources, for several workshops and talks I later presented about live interpretation topics: making connections with visitors, engaging audiences in spaces where they can’t touch objects, and using museum theatre.

I realized I wanted to find a way to share the research and information about live interpretation that I was gathering. That desire led to starting a blog, Live Interpretation, at http://live-interpretation.blogspot.com. My first posting, with your responses, includes “Minds-on Engagement.” In subsequent posts, I’ll review “Hands-on Activities,” “Personal Connections” and “Overall Approaches.” I’ll also include links to resources, comments by leaders in the field and anything else I can think of that helps us understand and become effective at one of the most powerful visitor experiences – live interpretation.

Please feel free to check out the blog and read the first post on “Minds-on Interpretation.”

Dale Jones
Making History Connections
dalejones@makinghistoryconnections.com
live-interpretation.blogspot.com
makinghistoryconnections.com
affiliated with QM2 at qm2.org
443-472-2670

Comments

Popular Posts