Rant # 2/infinity: Jerry Maguire

Can you tell I'm working on writing this weekend?
Whereas yesterday's frustration was poor search options, today's frustration addresses the larger problems of poor citation.

I rant about this enough when I am teaching, and my poor students' essays are constantly marked up with "source?" in green pen. But I don't think the poor undergrads realize just how frustrating poor citation is for a "real" researcher. Take, for example, sentences that sweepingly begin with "Studies have shown..." and then never go on to have a footnote, endnote, or in-text citation of the source of these miraculous studies. At this point I go into full-on Jerry Maguire mode and want to scream at the top of my lungs, "SHOW ME THE STUDY!!! SHOW. ME. THE STUDY!!!" Sadly, as for Cuba Gooding Jr, the study is never revealed...
Don't try this at home, kids.

Comments

Popular Posts