Amy's Awesome Museums #1: Bentwaters Cold War Museum

Located on the former RAF Bentwaters site, the BCWM is the only museum in the UK housed within a disused U.S. Air Force Wing Command Post.

It is, as the museum's publicity states, a truly unique experience.

BCWM is an independent, volunteer-run museum and while it can't boast cutting-edge exhibitions, it is incredibly rich in objects and interpretive material.

I grew up close to the airbase, and spent many, shall we say 'interesting' hours there as a teenager. Bentwaters gave me my first taste of ten-pin bowling, Burger King, American-style pizza, and 'The Young and the Restless' (or whatever that soap is called). It was the U.S. of A. in the heart of Suffolk. Strangely compelling and disturbing all at the same time.

Anyways, here are some pics from my Easter Day visit. I haven't provided any captions, but leave a comment if you have any questions and I'll have a go at answering.

For more information, see the BCWM website.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Comments

Dr J said…
Great photos, Amy! Nice to hear about a hidden treasure museum.

Popular Posts