Back we are...

Well, I'm back. Actually, I've been back a few days, but I've been trying to reorient myself in Leicester again. It's strange to be here. I've been mainly alone. Hearing myself speak to a shop assistant the other day, I did not sound like myself.

I think it must be made clear at the outset that you cannot let your PhD become your whole world. Your work will suffer because of it. I'm realising how much this possibly will chew me up, consume me and spit me out at the other end. The social links that we build are so crucial. And this blog is one of those.

Happy 2010 everyone! Welcome to the future!

Comments

The Attic said…
Hear, hear!

My top tip (apart from 'take up knitting'): a PhD can be damaging to one's mental well-being and self-esteem at the best of times. Don't make things worse by isolating yourself from the wider research community. You need your peers, to bounce ideas off, to get clarification, for light relief, be that contact in person, or virtually via an online community.
Jenny said…
I think knitting could be damaging to my mental wellbeing!!! :P

Popular Posts