Historical Hot or Not V

Today's submission for your aesthetic consideration is Lord Elgin; yes, that Lord Elgin, of the marbles in the British Museum. Here is a portrait of him before that now-politically-incorrect historical episode.


Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin (1766-1841), by George Perfect Harding, after Anton Graff, 1787, NPG. and detail (below):He's rather debonair, leaning on his stick like that. Plus, he still has his nose here (syphilis hadn't quite taken its toll yet). So, Hot or Not? Or Naughty?

Comments

The Attic said…
He has a nose, yes, but it's not the right sort, so it's a 'not hot' from me. Sorry Elgy!
Jenny said…
Although I like the sword, the second image is better. But he still looks like I'd really want to clip him round the ear at times...
Ceri said…
He does look kind of hot in those breeches but Byron didn't like him so I couldn't possibly admit to it. As well as his track record. So NOT.

(And yes I know Byron has a terrible track record too but he has some poetry to recommend him)
Elee said…
Looks like a cad to me. Plus, the advantage of history is hindsight, so knowing that he had syphilis, he has to be a definite NOT!

Popular Posts