The Attic (a name which commemorates our first physical location) is, first and foremost, a site for the research students of the School of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester: a virtual community which aims to include all students, be they campus-based and full-time, or distance-learning and overseas. But we welcome contributions from students of museum studies - and allied subject areas - from outside the School and from around the world. Here you will find a lot of serious stuff, like exhibition and research seminar reviews, conference alerts and calls for papers, but there's also some 'fluff'; the things that inspire, distract and keep us going. After all, while we may be dead serious academic types, we're human too.

Monday, May 21, 2007

How respectable was Darwin?

I am sure it is not just me but many times during my research I am confronted with the Victorians and their views on the world which appear to still influence how we think about many subjects today, notably race, culture, classification, history... I am sure I could go on. Which is why I saw with interest some research done by Dr Gowan Dawson which looks at Darwin from the perspective of was he respectable. Apparently he was accused (through his theories) of encouraging sexual impropriety. Not that I am in any way seeking to discredit our illustrous 19th century forebears...

http://www2.le.ac.uk/ebulletin/news/press-releases/2000-2009/2007/05/nparticle.2007-05-16.0468628735

1 comment:

Amy said...

It seems to me that, rightly or wrongly, Darwin is almost single-handedly responsible for the enormous social and cultural mindshifts that have made the world what it is today. Whether we subscribe to his theoretical perspectives (that's a nod to any creationists out there) I don't think anyone can deny that his contribution to knowledge was revolutionary.