The Attic (a name which commemorates our first physical location) is, first and foremost, a site for the research students of the School of Museum Studies at the University of Leicester: a virtual community which aims to include all students, be they campus-based and full-time, or distance-learning and overseas. But we welcome contributions from students of museum studies - and allied subject areas - from outside the School and from around the world. Here you will find a lot of serious stuff, like exhibition and research seminar reviews, conference alerts and calls for papers, but there's also some 'fluff'; the things that inspire, distract and keep us going. After all, while we may be dead serious academic types, we're human too.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Research Week Reflections

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer really, because - officially - Research Week isn't yet over, and several of our happy band have gone to spend the day in Norwich (and are probably sitting in a coach stuck in traffic as I write!), but the main part of the programme, the individual presentations, are all now complete.

Personally I really enjoyed the week. Met lots of new lovely colleagues and regained my enthusiasm for my research. Also ate and gossiped FAR too much, but that's another story. ;)

Waking up this morning I felt a tinge of post-holiday sadness. You know, that feeling you get when you have to go back to work after a break? Although it's been busy and tiring, I found everyone's presentations so inspiring and, may I say, the company so delightful, that while wading through my backlog of emails and recordings and photos to upload today, I have felt more than an little melancholic, though to be fair - and as anyone who knows me will confirm - that it my default setting. Oh well, back to the daily grind I suppose. At least the weather is lovely at the moment (that's me being stereotypically British there!).

A couple of points for discussion were raised during yesterday's session, which I thought might generate a little blog debate. More on that, plus reviews and photographs, very shortly.

1 comment:

Ceri said...

My thoughts on research week:

It was great to meet everyone and put faces to names.

I will echo your comments Amy that it was inspiring to hear about everyone's research... I am only sorry that I could only see a few but that was the fault of a pressing work deadline!

I have suggested on the feedback form that we have some kind of social event to round the week off... I am always busy on a Monday night so have to miss the meal and maybe it is selfish but I would like something at the end of the week to make up for that if possible.

There is the makings of a fantastic research community... and the opportunity is there for those who want to be involved and those who don't.

Can't wait until next year!!